Dear Desert Sky Families,
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new Desert Sky families and welcome back our returning families. I look forward to getting to know each of you as we work together to continue the tradition of excellence at Desert Sky Middle School.
With the start of a new academic year, it is important for our students to consider what their goals will be for the coming year. Setting personal goals helps individuals reach an objective. It also helps young people persist through challenges and demands personal effort. May I suggest you take this opportunity to discuss with your child their academic, attitude, and, behavioral goals for the 2017-2018 school year. Perhaps even write these goals down and place them somewhere in your home where they can be reviewed periodically.
We at Desert Sky will do our best to keep you informed of school events and your child’s individual progress. Below are some ways you can stay informed and find out how your child is doing in school.
- There is Internet access to your child’s grade and behavior for each class based on our Citizenship Rubric. This can be viewed on our PowerSchool website at ps.vail.k12.az.us/public/.
- On a daily basis, you can check the PRIDE section of your child’s student agenda and find out if he or she turned in his/her required assignments, brought the required materials to class, and was on time to class.
- Check out your child’s teachers’ blogs. The link to each blog can be found on our school website at http://dsms.vail.k12.az.us/.
- Engage your child about his/her progress in school.
- Call or email your child’s teacher. Our teachers strive to return voicemails and email within 24 hours Monday-Friday.
- Attend Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Our teachers will contact you should an academic or behavioral concern arise. You’ll also be contacted with positive messages about your child throughout the year.
Finally, I would like to invite you to our Open House on Thursday, August 3rd at 6:30 p.m. The evening will begin in the gym. The Open House is a great opportunity to meet your child’s teachers and continue to build the critical home/school partnership, which is the foundation to student success. The Food Truck Round-up will be at DSMS for Open House so come out to enjoy a great night! I hope to see you all there!
We are committed to providing your child an excellent education at Desert Sky Middle School. I am looking forward to our partnership and a wonderful school year!